When it comes to a healthy relationship, it doesn’t happen by accident; it takes hard work, patience, communication, and commitment. A healthy relationship relies on each partner doing their share. Unhealthy habits typically lead to unhealthy relationships. Biting those destructive behaviors in the butt early on is one of the first steps of creating a healthy relationship. After much time and reflection, and even a bit of research, I have compiled a list of 8 habits one will find in a healthy relationship.
- Taking responsibility for one’s actions and words is the first habit you will find in a healthy relationship. Each person in the relationship does not resort to finger pointing or defensive behaviors, because they don’t need to. By accepting our mistakes, we avoid the risk of repeating them in the future, because we all know, no relationship is perfect.
- Show some appreciation and gratitude for the things your significant other does, even the small things, like that ‘good morning’ text they took the time out of their day to send. When you make it a habit to feel grateful and appreciative, you stop taking things for granted, nor do you develop a sense of entitlement, like you deserve it. By showing the appreciation you have for your partner, they will feel loved and desired, and will do the same for you.
- Often we find ourselves talking, but feeling like we aren’t being heard by the one we love; unfortunately this is a typical habit in relationships. It’s time to step up your game, though. When your significant other starts talking to you, put everything down and listen, give your partner your FULL attention. Whatever your partner has to say is important to them, therefore it is imperative that you listen and give your undivided attention. This also helps with the communication in a relationship as it ensures both partners are heard.
- Healthy relationships are often full of kindness and compassion. Those little things, you might think are unimportant, are vital to a healthy relationship; they add up and help keep the spark of romance in the relationship alive. So go fill up your significant other’s tank, pick up their favorite snack, help with the chores. Whatever it is, I promise it will go a long way in your relationship.
- Make time for the one you love and make them a priority. This is something seen in EVERY healthy relationship.
- Another great habit to get into is to set goals with each other. We all have our personal goals, but by setting relationship goals gives you both something to strive for, together. Maybe it is a household project you want to work together to complete. Or maybe there is a trip you want to go on together, you can work together to save money for the trip. Setting and completing goals together helps strengthen the foundation of the relationship.
- It is no secret relationships are based on trust, honesty, and transparency. If you wouldn’t say or do it with your significant other around, don’t do it at all.
- Finally, you have got to stop sweating the small stuff. It cuts down on the criticism and keeps so much of the negativity out of the relationship. Take a minute to think about what you want to bitch about, is it really worth the stress? Or is it something that can be moved past? Don’t make something small such a big deal, it only creates stress and drama.
Do you have any healthy habits I didn’t mention? Share them with us in the comments!